Follow up to my newest winery listing post

The previous post, currently, lists over 174 wineries that I've tasted at in person. By a few of them there is "GO" in parentheses. This means one of two things: 1) the wine and experience are stellar, or 2) one or the other is so good that it trumps the mediocrity of the other. 

I'm creating a separate online and print project that will partly expand on some subjects, including my wine tasting trips and all things wine. For now, however, I'll leave you with the top five wineries, in random order, I've visited in the following regions: Napa/St. Helena/Calistoga, Livermore, San Jose, Gilroy/Morgan Hill, Carmel/Monterey/Soledad, and Paso Robles.


NAPA/ST HELENA/CALISTOGA

Paraduxx

Very relaxing, well-planned and presented tasting, beautiful area, fun concept of wines: hint, all wines are a "pair" of "Duck"horn wines. Cute, huh? Also, you have your own host/hostess and they'll stay with you or leave you alone if you want - at least, they did then.

Madrigal

Lovely Spanish wines, though their flagship is their Petite Sirah (I'm partial to their Tempranillo and French-style Rose); one of the best tasting and terrain experiences at a winery with tasting in the vineyard and if you're there at the right time, you get to walk the vines and taste the grapes off the vine itself!

Vincent Arroyo

My Thanksgiving wine winery, the wines here are different but very, very good (you'll surprise yourself!) and the tasting/tour is spectacular with the story behind the winery to match! My fave is their Bodega wine, a tasty blend that's literally perfect for your Thanksgiving table.

Peju

Peju's The Experience wine just edged out my previous fave, 2015 Duckhorn Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon, but it was the neat drive up to the winery and the experience that really sold me on referring this winery to everyone I meet - and I think there's a wine here for every palate! Great, diverse selection.

Duckhorn

Ahhh, this may be my favorite still but that Peju The Experience was just so great and different...however, the experience, the lovely garden atmosphere and the peacefulness of Duckhorn really makes it unique to visit. Whatever the cost of the tasting is now, it's still worth it.

Honorable Mentions: Frogs Leap, Mumm Napa & Hall winery - for both the wines and experiences. Not to be missed.


LIVERMORE

Cedar Mountain

A Port-only winery, and they are fantastic! This is the first place I had a "savory" Port and I'm now hooked! You just have to taste it to try it. And the original owners are still the winemakers - but the story is that when they retire, that may be it for this gem in Livermore. Go, soon!

Big White House & John Evans Cellars

The wines are different here, but brilliant. Their yearly blend has a waiting list even though it is different from year to year. However, the story of John Evans, his wife, and his sister the artist is why you should go here. I think you'll find something you like, but I think you'll like the people and ambiance of the simple white barn even more.

Page Mill

A cozy, organic, super friendly cat winery with the tasting among the vines. It was a wine club of mine for a while, and I just adored how peaceful I felt when tasting there.

Rodrigue Molyneaux

Surprisingly, not a big fan of the wines here but it's on my list? Yes, because it might me the cutest, coziest, prettiest tasting area I've been to - at least in the top five. When you go, you'll know what I mean.

Tenuta

Simply, my friend and I felt like we were in Italy/Tuscany and neither of us have ever been there. Even though a memorial service (yes, that kind of memorial service) was being held about fifteen feet from our tasting, the experience and terrain outweighed it.


SAN JOSE

Vidovich

THE BEST VIEW of any winery in the San Jose area. If your car can make it all the way to the top of the mountain, you are in for a treat! (it's up Montebello past wineries Picchetti and Ridge). Even if its foggy, it's still gorgeous. They exclusively make Cabernet Sauvignon, with a Zin every now and then, but they are exquisite! I'm not joking. I think my wine connoisseur friends would like their wines. 

Picchetti

Probably the easiest, warmest, most fun winery in the San Jose area. You can picnic all day here, share a bottle of wine, choose the wines to taste from a huge selection, and enjoy the local peacock population. Yes, I said peacocks.

Wright's Station

This winery is tucked away in the San Jose/Santa Cruz mountains, but it is worth the drive. They are known for their Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays expectedly. I did a tasting and then enjoyed a glass of their Pinot Noir. Very neat, lovely, wooded area.

Thomas Fogarty

If Vidovich didn't exist, this would be my favorite winery with a view in this area. You can see all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge! And I can even make out Levi's Stadium and Great America. As is usual for this area, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay is king. But they do make a tasty slightly semi-sweet Rose called Rosalee, of which I've come home with both times I've visited.

Black Ridge

Probably the best "no-one-seems-to-know-about" winery in the area, and though it's just out of Los Gatos, it seems like you're in the middle of the mountains. Their Viognier and Pinot Noir were my favorite. Sadly, this winery did not make it out of the pandemic and the CZU fires and is not making wine anymore. However, they are still attending to their vines and selling to local wineries.

Honorable mention: Byington - my favorite Petite Sirah to this day (2013) and just breathtaking views of mountain upon mountain.


GILROY/MORGAN HILL

Fortino

Still one my favorite wineries to get away to, second only to Calera in this region - though I go to Fortino more than Calera due to the drive. It's right at the crossing of Watsonville Rd. and 152, and it's peaceful, fun, they have a chef, and every weekend there's something fun to do or eat! Seriously, visit here. My favorite is the Malbec, Charbono, and Carignan.

Calera

In the hills of Hollister is this magnificent winery with top-of-the-line Pinot Noirs - so much so that the Duckhorn company bought them! It may be a slight trek up the mountain, but it is more than worth it. If you don't want to go on your own, give me a call/message on Facebook and I'll go with you!

EmmaLily

Very exclusive, high-end winery that only makes Cabernet Sauvignon and I believe they have one Cabernet Franc. But that's it. They know what they like, and they do it well. The tasting is free, but the wines are not for those who aren't serious wine drinkers or can pay upwards of $200/bottle on average. You read that right - which is why you join their wine club at your first tasting because members get all wines 50% off so you can go home with a few bottles. They are worth every penny, and they age very, very well.

Lightpost

You can tell that their winemaker is a protege of a well-known Paso Robles winemaker. The wines here are better than you'd think - and you wonder how you found this little gem in San Martin. Yes, San Martin! They are a small winery though, so your favorite wines go fast. Still, it's under a 20 min jaunt thats well worth an afternoon of tasting their lovely wines.

Aver Family

Unexpectedly good wines, chocolate pairing, and just a super fun atmosphere! I had so much fun that I almost signed up on a trip to go with them to Italy! They even reserved a spot for me for a week giving me time to figure out the finances! Unfortunately, I ended up having to say no...and then the pandemic happened so they didn't go anyway. Still, such a fun winery, and good wines.

Honorable mention: J. Winston, Leal - both have good wines with fun wine hosts.


CARMEL/MONTEREY/SOLEDAD

Caraccioli Cellars

They Brut Rose boasts at least twice the winner of sparkling wine of the year in the USA. It is delicious but my favorite sparkling wine of theirs is actually their Brut cuvee. So yummy! Their Pinot Noir is a tad lighter, and I'll actually order a glass of their Chardonnay to drink, and I'm not a Chardonnay drinker. The wine hosts are great and sipping wine in Carmel's downtown is a treat in itself, especially if you like to sip wine and people watch.

Hahn/Smith & Hook (Soledad location)

For the price point, this wine is a nice choice. Turned on to it after ordering in a restaurant, visiting the winery in Soledad was a given, and one of my favorite places to go (I just always get sidetracked by Carmel/Monterey as its the same amount of time to both). Still the outside patio has amazing views of the valley, and the wine is good, too. Fun note: I couldn't finish it and my mom had a sip and liked it so much that we pretended to ask for a to go cup for the coffee, but we used it for the wine instead.

Wrath

There's something about their Pinot Noirs that is fantastic and memorable, and the winery in the middle of nowhere is a pleasant surprise with beautiful views and a welcome eerie quiet that you didn't know you needed.

Boekeenoogen

I truly enjoyed this small winery in Carmel Valley, and intimate tasting area. The Boekeenoogen vineyard also has a big following and respect. After truly enjoying Wrath's version of the Boekeenoogen grape, I had to go to the namesake, and I was not disappointed. 

Folktale

I will be honest and say that I wasn't super impressed with the wines here, but the beauty of the winery is not to be missed and the staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. I'll need to taste there again to see if my palate has changed - it's been almost four years since I tasted there. 

Honorable mention: A Taste of Monterey, solely because it's on the water in Cannery Row!


PASO ROBLES

Justin

Probably in my top five ever of wineries (maybe even top 3, or number one) because I never have a bad time, bad meal, bad wine, bad anything! It's quite a drive in the Paso Robles hills but make a reservation at the restaurant and enjoy a full tasting while you enjoy your meal. I promise you that you won't regret it. They are known for their Isosceles blend, but I'm a fan of their Right Angle, Tempranillo, and Viognier.

L'Aventure

The story behind this winery is enough for you to visit. The wine is a second reason. The serene atmosphere and friendly staff are others. Just trust me, this is a must visit in Paso Robles. I came home I think with three bottle of wine, but the one I really wanted only is for club members. Maybe one day...

Thacher

Referred to me by other wine-loving friends, I could've stayed here for another two hours just enjoying the countryside tasting complete with barn and beautiful vineyard views. What I remember and have planned to drink soon is that here I tasted my most favorite Grenache to date. I mean, yummy with a capital Y. I like Grenache's but they aren't my favorite; however, I couldn't leave without a bottle of their Grenache - and I have it picked as the next red from my stash I'll drink.

Calcareous

Their wines are great but if you've been here, like Daou, you come for the amazing views, for enjoying lunch, and drinking good wine. Seriously, one of the top five wineries I've been to with incredible hilltop views of the Paso Robles mountains.

Linne Calodo

If there is a more "silent" winery, I haven't found it yet. Where the winery is situated off the highway and in between two hills, there is a silence that is deafening, and the wine isn't bad either. Give yourself a treat by tasting here and take your time to enjoy its peaceful surroundings. I know this sounds weird but I didn't like the wines like I thought I would, however, I mused that it was because it was my fourth winery that day. I plan to go back and taste it first or second to really get a feel for the wines.

Honorable mention: Caliza, Tablas Creek - Caliza for their Tempranillo and Primitivo, Tablas Creek for the incredible detailed-history.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The emotional and physical struggle bus

Wine-ings Post 2: My Top 10 Non-Napa Wineries (right now) and procrastinating doing my taxes

Wineries I've been to, and a little info about how to SIP